Thursday, February 4, 2010

Doing Some Actual Studying....

Joe and I are actually doing some work in the Studentpalatset near school. (Student Palace) It is just a huge building for all students from nearby schools to study in. There are rooms for group meetings and then all kinds of individual tables to study at. We had Swedish class yesterday, and we learned how to ask for and give directions. I can successfully now ask how to get most common places in Swedish, however, I fear that this will cause the person I ask to think I actually speak Swedish, and the response will leave me no closer to my final destination. At least I can shake my head and that person will go on there way believing I speak Swedish. Unless, I head in the complete wrong direction....

We received another heavy snowfall last night. The snow has risen quite a bit, however, during the day, it has been warm enough that some of it is definitely turning to mush. I can only imagine in March, when it all melts, how the sidewalks will fare. In other news, Joe and I booked our trip to the UK. We fly out on March 22nd to Dublin for the nice price of $22. This is on RyanAir, so we might be flying in the cargo space, but regardless, it is cheap. We then fly from Dublin to Edinburgh on the 25th. We are hoping to make a day trip either to Glasgow or the Highlands, but this is contingent on being able to function a manual automobile on the left side of the road without killing ourselves and/or many sheep. The Edinburgh distilleries are also very much on the agenda. Hopefully, there is enough room left in our bags for a little duty free Scotch to bring back. We fly back to Scotland on March 28th for 3 final days in Stockholm before we depart. Our original plan was to fly out right after our last class on the 16th, to be in Dublin for St. Patty's Day, but our good Norwegian friend Oyvind is joining us in Stockholm for a KFBS reunion the weekend of the 18th-21st. Saunas and cruises to take place during said reunion.

Weekend Plans So Far:

Friday 19:00 - The Bandy World Championships are going on, so we are going to watch a Bandy game. For those of you that don't know what Bandy is (mentioned earlier), and since it is only played in Scandinavia, I imagine that is everybody but Gustav, it is basically a hybrid of Ice Hockey and Futbol. The players wear skates and have mini hockey sticks and they pass around a rubber ball. It is played on ice, but the field is the size of a futbol field. Also, the goals are the same size as a futbol goal. As you can imagine, this makes the goalie all but useless. The game is played at an insanely fast pace, and it sounds very fun as long as you bundle up properly. Below is a clip of some of previous World Championships. Luckily, it is supposed to be significantly warmer than last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5C2Rdz6Mik&feature=related

The only other set plan we have is the SSE Super Bowl Party from Sunday 21:00 - Monday 4:00. I am going to attempt to run a SuperBowl Squares Pool. However, I fear the Swedish students will just see this as me collecting money from everybody and randomly giving it back to people after each quarter....this may discourage them from participating. At least for a four hour block of time, I will be receiving questions instead of asking them. Should be a nice change of pace, if only briefly.

Alright, back to work
Sturecompanient Tonight
Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment