Thursday, February 4, 2010

I Almost Got Away With It

So I leave class today and head to System Bolaget before hopping on the bus for Lappis. I am standing in the store debating my choice, even though I know it will be Lord Calvert, and a lady walks up to me and says "Var ligger en starkol." Having just learned from Frida that this means "where is the beer," I point to the beer section. When I walk to the counter, a lady says "urseckta" (excuse me) to which I reply "Nye, du" (no, you go). I then go to the counter and the lady says "Hej" to which I reply "Hej." She rings me up and says "Tre hundra trettifyra kroner" and I pull out my credit card. She asks for my ID, and I give it to her. I am 99% of the way to getting out of this building with nobody knowing that I suck at Swedish. I calmly wink at the cute Swedish girl behind me, and I go to bag up my good. As I am bagging, the checkout lady looks at me and says something like "Kan jå min penna" I stare blankly and think....oh shit, I am screwed, run before they know that you don't speak Swedish. I just reply, "Nye" thinking she is asking if I want my receipt. She then gets upset...."Ge mig min penna" I look down, and I have a pen in my hand that I certainly did not come in with.....F*$k. Everbody is laughing at me as I run out in nonSwedishspeakingshame.....so close

I will get it tomorrow
Drew

This post goes out to my short friend back in the Thrill....MC. Tell Gary, I will be back soon, and I will look younger than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment