Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ongoings From The North

Our Sunday was spent preparing for class and overall relaxing. We did venture out to the "Lappis Market" to see just what kind of rations we have within our living area. Some good things were discovered during this trip

a) We can buy 2 frozen, very hearty pizzas for 45 SEK ($7)

b) We can buy the mixings for an awesome sub sandwich for about 35 SEK ($6)

c) There is a restaurant that serves very good pizza for a reasonable price

d) I watched a women buy a bucket of beers (5 beers) and the man seemed to ring her up for 100 SEK ($15). I am very excited about this. I inquire, and I have not seen incorrectly

e) "Starkol," which is the beer we thought we were drinking at Dovas Pub, is actually the word for "Beer." This probably explains why when we asked for a Starkol at Dovas, Mr. Face Tattoo looked like he wanted to kill us for being American Jackasses.

f) The Starkol that they have on tap, Zheuherts, is 29 SEK. Very Good

This is a productive Sunday. However, it is 16:00 when we are eating at this place, and it is absolutley pitch black. Other than that, good Sunday

We don't have any actual class on Monday, but we do have a Swedish lesson in the afternoon. Now don't get me wrong, I am very interested in learning Swedish, and I think I will soon be a professional Swedish speaker, but there is certainly part of me that is going just to hear our Swedish teacher speak. Joe and I are determined that we are competent enough to learn to read and butcherly speak the language, but I am not sure that I will ever be understand it when spoken conversationally. The sounds are just so very different than anything we have ever tried to speak. After our Swedish lesson, we head back for frozen kebab pizza and a Nurrlands Guld before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment